Huwebes, Enero 6

HARRIETT (an Autobiography)

It was a sunny morning on the 18th day of April 1991 when my mother Margie gave birth to her fourth child. This was a day when I saw the world around her for the first time. Harriett was the name given to me by my dad Henry and for me  this was a great and a unique name.
Seven months after birth I was brought by my mom to my grandparents’ house in Masbate where my three older sisters lived. I am the fourth child among five siblings. Both our parents live here in Manila because of their work, that’s why we had to be at our grandparents side. I grew up with my Lola. She’s the one who took care of me while my parents were away.
I entered Kindergarten at the age of five at St. Joseph Kindergarten in our province and I got my first award as  the Most Honest Student. I was really proud as a child to have such kind of award as a first step in my schooling. At the age of six, I entered as a temporary student in Grade 1 at Umabay Exterior Elementary School and started my elementary grades at the age of seven in the same school. In elementary, I was a consistent first honor student and was awarded as the Valedictorian when I graduated. But it was not easy for me to achieve those accomplishments. In my years in that school, I pursued to prove them that I have what it takes to succeed. It didn’t matter for me to be applauded every time I receive an award but what mattered was being recognized by my family and that they have something to be proud of.

When I was in Grade one my mom died from heart attack. It was the first saddest time I felt. The last time we saw each other was when I graduated in kinder and that was the last time I saw her alive. It was also the most painful time for our family because it was unexpected losing her. We never expected it to happen so early. At a very young age I learned how to give importance to the ones I love.
Everything changed fast since I entered high school. It wasn’t easy for me to interact with different people and with different personalities. During my first year in high school, I really felt that there would always be criticism everytime I presented myself to them. There are people who went to school just for fun and popularity, but some were for their future and family. I was just an average student but I aimed to be on top. I took my high school life seriously;extra-curricular activities like sports, drawing, crafts, etc. were my favorites. I was afraid to fail in class, that was why I motivated myself to take everything seriously and enjoyed my studies. I enjoyed understanding the concepts more than just memorizing ready made notes.
High school years seemed to be the happiest. This is the time when I found my best friends. Friends whom I can rely on and who can understand my silence. Crushes? This isn’t new in high school. Funny to say, having a crush was one of the reasons why I went to school early and went home late. But that was only when he was having a table tennis game. I watched and cheered with my best friends. It’s true that being in love affects your mind and could make you high like  taking drugs. A feeling I used to feel when love striked me for the first time. I wasn’t sure of everything so I contradicted my feelings just to make sure I won’t look stupid.

After I enjoyed life in high school, I prepared myself  for another chapter in my life. That was also the time when I had to leave my grandma and went back to Cavite to be with my dad and my sisters. I used to plan what I wanted to be in the future, prepared myself in college, be more responsible as a student and act professionally. This time wasn’t easy for me, though. I thought that it would be similar to high school. I took the last exam in TUP. It was the only university I applied for college. With God’s help, I passed the exam but dad didn’t want me to take up the course I wanted. I never wrote Fine Arts on the list of choices when I took the exam. But when I had the opportunity to enter the university, I pushed myself to have the course I loved. On the last minute of the enrollment, dad approached me to choose what I wanted. I just followed what he said and I knew that he was also happy with my choice. I never expected him to change his mind.
College life was full of excitements, loaded with surprises and loaded with templates for my course. My first year in college was tragic. Dad died; same like mom. That time I asked God why He had to take dad away that early. Why sometimes we are only given a few minutes to be with the ones we love?  I always look at those bad things that happened and tried to be positive while my own world seems to be more negative. The pain that was brought by his death didn’t fade easily. I treasured those times especially the last moment I was with dad. “No pain,no gain...” I won’t forget those words he said to me. It is sad to say that I can never hear those words again. He’s not just a father to me, but also a mother and a friend.  I’m so proud and lucky that I’m one of his daughters.

Life isn’t always good all the time. What we have to do is carry ourselves in such a way that when the people of the world are sitting, you would be standing...and when the world is standing, you will stand out. And when the world stands out, you’ll be outstanding.
Today, I know that those things in the past have their purpose in the present and in the future. The positive attitude to face hardships brought out the best in me. I am looking forward to face the challenges of life in a positive manner.

2 komento: